Saturday, June 25, 2005

Connect to Device Failed

I have been unable to get the SmartPhone 2003 Device Emulator to work on my laptop. This is particularly frustrating because I have successfully run the device emulator on two different desktop machines at work. My laptop is a corporate system and, therefore, may have some firewall software or strange setting unbeknownest to me.

The error I get is identical to this thread on forums.microsoft.com. Basically, I try debugging a simple test application with the SmartPhone 2003 SE Emulator and I have to suffer through a long pause before I get an error dialog that reads, "There were deployment errors. Continue?" I have the option of selecting Yes or No... neither of which helps. In the Error List in Visual Studio I get "Connect to Device Failed - Conman HelpText System."

According to the help thread mentioned above, this connection error is most likely due to a problem with the ip of the emulator. By default VS2005 beta 2 uses TCP/IP as the transport to the emulator. Unfortunately there is no easy way to determine the ip of the SmartPhone 2003 emulator (though there is a way to do it in the PocketPC 2003 emulator). I then installed the Microsoft Loopback Adapter solution, instructions found here. This did not solve my problem either -- in fact, I get the exact same error.

Beyond this, I've tried just about every setting in Tools->Options->Devices->SmartPhone 2003 SE Emulator->Properties but to no avail. In addition, I foundthat the easiest way to test the connection setting was to employ the "Device Emulator Manager" found in VS2005 (Tools->Device Emulator Manager) rather than to attempt a debug execution on the emulator.

I'm going to give up for now and debug straight off the cell phone itself. This, however, was not a possible solution this past week because I did not have my cord with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm a PM on Visual Studio for Devices. Can you please try installing this patch (the DMA transport update)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0E05817F-08D6-48A2-A572-CF77ED72C5BE&displaylang=en

Please mail me the results (if it worked or if it doesn't) at sriramk AT microsoft.com

Thanks,
Sriram Krishnan

jonfroehlich said...

Sriram,

This in fact did work for me. I installed the update, restarted VS2005 and was able to immediately debug on the SmartPhone 2003 SE Emulator.

Thanks for your help! It is very much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

that direction does not exist

mmoya@metro.com.ec

ogolla said...

Going to Tools==>Options==>Device Tools==>

Then check the box "Show device choices before deploying a device project"

That should fix your problem, as the laptop has "device" as the default, not "emulator"

Blog with me at: http://www.ogolla.blogspot.com