Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Installation Error, Support Info: 4

I had problems deploying and running .NET CF 2.0 applications on my i-mate K-JAM (running Windows Mobile 5.0--OS 5.1.70). I posted this message to Google Groups:

I've been unable to successfully load a small test app I've written in VS2005 and .NET CF 2.0 (C#) for the i-mate K-Jam PocketPC Phone Edition.

The error that pops up on the K-JAM when deploying and debugging from VS2005, "Installation error. Stop all applications and processes and maximize available storage space, and run installation again. Support info: 4."

If I attempt to run the app by clicking on it in the file explorer on the K-JAM, I get the error, "This application (TestPocket.exe) requires a newer version of the Microsoft .NET Compact Framework than the version installed on this device." When I click details, I get:

TestPocket.exe
InvalidProgramException

I've tried this with the target device selected as both "Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC Device" and "Windows Mobile 5.0 SmartPhone Device." I receive the same error in both cases.

Has anyone run into this before? I can successfully deploy my test app to the PocketPC and SmartPhone emulators as well as to the Cingular 2125 SmartPhones.

Mark Prentice replied with a pointer to a working solution at his blog:

I’m happy to report the workaround for the system failure, which will be included in SP1, has now also been slipstreamed into the current download. If .NET Compact Framework v2 CAB installation on a Windows Mobile 5.0 device fails with error #4 then this fix is for you. Just re-download the NETCFv2 package and re-install!

Here's a link to the .NET CF 2.0 download.

No comments: