Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Operation Could Not Be Completed. Device Is Not Connected.

When attempting to debug one of my Windows Mobile applications this evening, I ran into this error:

The operation could not be completed. The device is not connected.

The error occurred after I right clicked on a project in my solution and selected Debug->Start new instance. After a bit of Googling, I determined that the root cause of this message (in my case) was that my project was referring to content that was not actually on my local disk. Earlier in the day I had moved some XML files outside of the project directory, which my project still erroneously referred to. Once I deleted links to these files in my project, I was able to successfully debug my application.

There is an msdn blog post about this here. Apparently, you may receive this error message for reasons beyond what I experienced above.

No comments: